There has been a lot of press lately about Superfish. I don’t mean whopper trout or bass in your pond but the malicious adware that can cause popups and obnoxious ads in your browsers. It can also intercept data like YOUR BANKING LOGINS!
The stories have focused on how Lenovo, usually a top 3 computer company, had pre-installed Superfish on systems it sold.
This is like selling birth control laced with an STD.
Superfish is one of the most common malware packages on most PCs. Almost every system I clean has it.
Here is a link that will tell you if it is on your system –Superfish Detector
If your system shows “Safe” then breathe a sigh of relief. If not, then here is a link telling you how to uninstall it – How to Remove Superfish
However, the instructions may not clear out every aspect of it.
Below are steps on how to safely remove Superfish and other malware you may have on your system.
BTW, if you don’t want to do this yourself, I recommend my $29.99 Immediate Assistance call. This type of removal is part of the remote cleaning I do.
Here’s what to do:
1. Disable your anti-virus software until computer restart. This makes the cleaning go faster.
2. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware . Only click on the green “Download Now” button.
3. Run the mbam-setup file you downloaded.
4. Select the appropriate language and click Next.
5. Accept the agreement and click Next. Keep clicking Next and then click Install.
6. After the s/w is installed, make sure to UNCHECK “Enable free trial…”. You don’t need that. Then click Finish.
7. When it starts, Malwarebytes will update itself. When that is done, click on Scan at the top.
8. Select Custom Scan. Then click Scan Now.
9. Check the C drive and click Start Scan. You are going to scan the entire drive to be thorough.
10. If you see a message that says “Updates are available”, get the updates.
11. Malwarebytes will start scanning your system. Depending on the speed of the PC, amount of data and the number of infections, the scan will take roughly 20 to 150 minutes.
12. When done, you’ll see a screen telling you the number of infections. In the bottom left click “Quarantine All”.
13. Malwarebytes may ask to restart your system. If so, do so. Even if it doesn’t, a restart will freshen the system.
This is just one of 4 tools I use when I do a remote cleaning. This will get you ~85-90% of the way to a totally clean system.
Stay safe and keep your identity yours, and yours alone!